1 word? AMAZING!!
This is something we’ve battled for a long time! The first time we thought to do it was when madam pooed on her bed! As you can imagine that didn’t go very well! We’ve been trying potty training on and off since then but it just hasn’t quite worked – and me being the awesome chilled out mother that I am, I decided not to push it 🙂
A couple of weeks ago we decided to re-introduce the potty over the weekend, however, we were away all Saturday so we only did it on Sunday. We had like a 10% success rate out of what seemed like a 100 chances! Needless to say it wasn’t fun.
Not to be panicky and all, but I was conscious of the fact that December was getting closer and my daughter wasn’t getting any younger so I knew this was something we had to do soon!
That AJ with her cousin OJJ don’t they look alike?
I mentioned it to the nursery and they told me how one of the mums literally dropped off her son in knickers on a Monday with little or no previous training and he picked it up before the end of the week! There I was trying to be a good mother and at least give the nursery a head start! So I said what the heck and decided the next week come rain or high water we were going to do the same! But I’d at least try again over the weekend.
That weekend was actually quiet good! Still had a few accidents but we got a number of successful runs too!
Some of the things we did:
- We got AJ to go all day with just her panties (although sometimes she would insist on wearing a trouser which she would wee on!) and a top.
- She had loads to drink through out the day.
- We would ask her if she wanted to use the potty roughly every 30mins to an hour.
- At first she would tell us after she’s done it but eventually she started telling us before she did something!
- She got a treat every time she successfully used the potty.
- In the end we didn’t even bother bringing the potty to the living room or anything! We only used one potty and that was in the bathroom – thankfully our place is a bungalow so it’s easy to get to!
On Monday I dropped her off at the nursery and she only had a couple of accidents but they said she was brilliant considering it was her ‘1st day’ with them! I was a very proud mummy! 🙂
And its been great since then! We even went on a 5 hour trip to Scotland and my daughter refused to wee/poo on the nappy she wore, just in case – although that also meant we had a few too many stop overs! Yes, she still has a couple of accidents when she’s too busy playing and all, but generally she knows what she needs to do and even gets upset when she doesn’t!
So proud of my little missy and thankful we’ve gotten over (well most of it) one of the things I’ve been dreading!
Next stop? Night time potty training! Although I’ll be giving that one another few weeks/months to savor this moment a little longer…
Here’s AJ having a blast with her cousin over the weekend…
Have a lovely week!